10 week ultrasound

September 8, 2012

This update is going to be short and sweet, because it's been 2.5 weeks since I have been to the doctor and my pregnancy brain has kicked in. I may leave some things out, but I'll give you the big details.

My appointment was scheduled at 2pm on August 22nd.

I got a call on Aug. 20th saying that my blood-work came back and everything looked great, but I carried the gene for Cystic Fibrosis. (oh my God did she scare the crap out of me!) At first I didn't know what this would mean for the baby, but she explained and I managed to hold the tears back until we got off the phone. She wanted Adam to come with me to the appointment so that they could take his blood and send it off to get tested for the gene. He was going to be there anyways, but now he had an actual reason to be there, other than seeing our baby and support me. Basically, if Adam carries the gene for Cystic Fibrosis, then our baby has a 25% chance of having C.F. I know that isn't the worst thing in the world, and no, it wouldn't make us love our baby any less, but no parent wants that for their child. I was absolutely devastated; I was scared of the unknown. But I think I was more scared of how long the wait would be before we knew something. It took them 2 weeks to tell me the results of my blood-work. And usually, my doctor's office only calls if something is wrong; they won't call if your results are normal. But I still like the peace of mind knowing everything is OK. (I did call them earlier this week, and his blood-work came back negative - PRAISE GOD!) He does not carry the gene, so that means that our baby has a 50% chance of receiving the gene from me, but not developing the disease. Happy momma over here!!!

So Adam met me at the doctor's office and I had to sign in and wait my turn. And my nerves were so bad! I just wanted everything to be OK with our baby. I think the anticipation gets to me the worst.

After your initial consultation with the nurse, every appointment you go to, you have the ultrasound done first, and then the doctor goes over the results with you.

I finally got called back, which actually didn't take as long as last time and my heart started racing. She set me up on the chair and didn't waste any time trying to find baby. The only thing that I don't like is that she doesn't really talk to me about anything. She tells me the heart-rate and points out the baby, but that's it.  But I guess there really isn't anything to point out since I am so early on in the pregnancy. Baby's heart-rate was 169bpm (same as last time). At this visit she didn't tell us how long the baby was measuring either. But on my sonogram it says that the baby was measuring 10w6d and when I went in for the appointment I was 10w1d. So, I guess baby was measuring at little bit ahead. And she does everything so fast! I think that part didn't take but 5 minutes at the most. She printed out a picture for us and sent us back out into the lobby to wait on our doctor. When the first image popped up on the screen and I got to hear the heartbeat again, I didn't cry like I thought I was going to. I was more excited and thankful that everything was still so perfect.

I didn't have to wait very long this time either, thank goodness. But finally we heard my name being called by the nurse and she weighed me and sat us in a room. The longest part of these visits is waiting in our room for my doctor. It always seems like an eternity. Our turn came, and my doctor was really pleased with how everything looked and set me up on a regular schedule of every 4 week visits instead of every 2 weeks. We didn't talk much with her. She went over the information of Cystic Fibrosis and asked me if I had any questions, and sent us to get Adam's blood drawn. Once Adam was done with his part, we were able to leave. My next appointment is scheduled for September 19!

No comments:

Post a Comment